FDA Warns Against Swallowing Benadryl Itch Gel

Law360, New York (May 13, 2010, 12:58 PM EDT) -- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has warned consumers that mistakenly swallowing Johnson & Johnson’s Benadryl anti-itch gel instead of putting it on the skin could cause unconsciousness, hallucinations and other serious side effects.

The agency said Wednesday that J&J received 121 reports between 2001 and 2009 of consumers accidentally ingesting Benadryl Extra Strength Itch Stopping Gel, an over-the-counter treatment. J&J also sells oral liquid Benadryl products that can be swallowed.

Of the total reports, seven were considered serious and patients had to be taken to...
To view the full article, register now.