October 01, 2024
A California federal judge trimmed Monday a proposed class action challenging the federal government's requirement that asylum seekers use a smartphone app to submit applications, tossing an Alien Tort Statute claim and narrowing the scope of injunctive relief sought, but keeping the bulk of the Administrative Procedures Act fight alive.
July 12, 2024
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security said Friday that a pair of recent U.S. Supreme Court rulings addressing the issue of standing mean that two organizations lack the standing to challenge its requirement that migrants use a smartphone app to submit applications.
June 07, 2024
A California federal judge has asked for briefing on the impact of a new executive order on asylum seekers who enter between ports of entry on a pending lawsuit challenging a requirement that migrants use a smartphone app to submit applications.
January 16, 2024
Asylum-seekers have fired back at the Biden administration's bid to end their California proposed class action challenging the government's use of a smartphone app to book appointments, arguing they've sufficiently alleged they were forced to wait "indefinitely in dangerous conditions with a flawed app as their only lifeline."
November 14, 2023
The Biden administration is seeking to toss a lawsuit lodged by nonprofits and asylum-seekers who were turned away at the U.S.-Mexico border for not making an appointment on a government mobile app, saying the migrants had already been inspected and processed.
October 13, 2023
A California federal judge ruled Friday that U.S. Supreme Court precedent bars him from ordering border officials to process migrants who show up at the southern border without making a CBP One app appointment first.
September 14, 2023
The Biden administration has pushed back on a group of asylum-seekers and their advocates' claims that U.S. Customs and Border Protection's smartphone app violates the agency's own mandate, telling a California federal judge Wednesday that no binding policy exists.
September 01, 2023
Attorneys representing migrants alleging that border officials are unlawfully turning back asylum seekers who don't have CBP One appointments at the southern border said in a supplemental notice that their clients were repeatedly turned away at ports of entry before being processed.
August 10, 2023
A group of immigrant rights organizations and asylum-seekers turned away at the U.S. border for failing to make appointments via the CBP One app say the Biden administration has essentially revived the unlawful practice of metering noncitizens.
July 28, 2023
A pair of immigrant rights organizations and a group of asylum-seekers have filed a California federal class action challenging the Biden administration's policy requiring appointments via the CBP One app before a person can claim asylum at a point of entry.